The Aurora Community Arboretum is pleased to take part in Open Trails Day June 24th, 2018
While our trail system is always ‘open’ to the public,Activate Aurorawants to help people who are unfamiliar with the Trails system to:
- Enjoy a stroll with family members around the Aurora Family Leisure Complex during our ‘Inter-generational Walk’ and see the activity there.
- Take a walk through the Arboretum and learn from the experts why our Arboretum is so special.
- Participate in an introductory 'clinic' with Shawn Nisbet, a Nordic pole-walking specialist & advocate of healthy physical activity in Sheppard’s Bush.
- Bring your bike to the Aurora Seniors Centre for information on bike safety & maintenance and then take off with your family or friends for your own ‘trail’ ride.
What you need to know:
- There are no fees - this event is entirely free!
- There are no rules except those that govern the courteous and safe practices encouraged on all Town trails.
- There are no programs to register for, as it is all drop-in and enjoy.
- There are no reasons at all not to come, learn, enjoy and be active!
The Inter-Generational Walk
- This walk is supported by CHATS as well as the Activate Aurora Seniors Network, including the Chartwell Residences. Please come to the north parking lot of the Aurora Family Leisure Complex(AFLC) at135 Industrial Pkwy N, Aurora, ON L4G 4C4and enjoy the mobility-friendly asphalt paved sections of the trails. Additional parking and trail access is available at the AFLC south parking lot as well.
- Location: North Aurora Family Leisure Complex Trails
- Time:1 to 3 PM
- Parking/ Access: North or South AFLC Parking Lots.
- Map: https://goo.gl/TpBP4E
Nordic Pole-Walking Clinic
- Join Shawn Nisbet at Sheppard’s Bushfor a free orientation to Nordic pole walking and its benefits. A limited number of poles are available for demonstration. Shawn will inspire you with her knowledge skill and expertise in the hopes that you will adopt a new and active lifestyle.
- Location: Sheppard’s Bush
- Time:1st Instruction – 9:30 am, Walking session – 10:30 am, 2nd Instruction – 11:00 am
- Parking/Access: Sheppard’s Bush Northeast Parking lot
- Map: https://goo.gl/173vfG
- Visit the Arboretum and see why this area of the trail system is so special. You will meet Arboretum members and experts who will answer your questions as you receive interesting information about the Arboretum. Then, take your time and stroll through the sanctuary at your leisure.
- Location: Aurora Arboretum
- Time:1 to 3 pm
- Parking/ Access Drop-Off and parking at South end of Aurora Family Leisure Complex – Follow the signs.
- Map: https://goo.gl/3WsRYS
- Bike Aurora will present a bike safety and maintenance clinic in cooperation with Trek Bicycle Store of Aurora at the Aurora Seniors’ Centre parking lot and grounds. Bring your family and your bike, or just come and discuss your bike needs with experts. Enjoy bike demos, including e-bikes. We will have trail maps for you, in case you’d like to take a trail ride through the trails and enjoy the system. Please note that this is not a supervised ride – it is simply an opportunity for you to learn about and use the trails for your biking pleasure.
- Location: Aurora Seniors’ Centre Parking Lot
- Time:1:30 pm to 3:30 pm
- Parking/Access: Aurora Seniors’ Centre and Town Hall Parking lot.
- Map: https://goo.gl/kJbxeQ
If you wish more information, please go to https://activateaurora.com/local-event/open-trails-aurora/